Monday, October 8, 2012

Birth Story- Haden Wyatt Althof

I decided that I want to share Ella's birth and NICU story since it is part of her forever. I was thinking about how it would be a great way to document her beginning. Then I decided I should document the boys birth stories. So I am going to start with my 1st baby boy, Haden. He is such an amazing kiddo! He is so calm and laid back all the while being super quiet and shy. He makes friends very easily as he is just as nice as can be to everyone. He loves to hang out with his dad and play games with both of us. How did Wyatt and I ever get so lucky to have such an amazing kid!!

Here is his birth story!


On December 12, 2005, Wyatt and I woke up early to head to St. Francis Hospital to have our very first child. I will NEVER forget that morning. We both barely got sleep the night before. The alarm went off around 4:30 and we popped out of our bed and fixed me a LARGE bowl of Cheerios. I remember the nurses telling me to make sure I eat since I would not get anything else until the baby arrives. Had I known what I was in for, I would have gone for a much larger breakfast. Wyatt and I took the longest ride to Topeka. We could hardly wait to see if we were parents to a boy or a girl. We got to the hospital at 6:00am. We got quickly shuffled into the labor and delivery room where I got changed and jumped into the bed and hooked up to the monitors. We were surprised to find out that I was having some great contractions that were occurring every 2 to 3 minutes apart. I was SHOCKED!! I did not feel a thing. Then the time came……I had to get my IV. I ended up handling it well even when the nurse did not get it capped off and the blood came out the end. A new mother should never her a nurse say “uh oh” while shoving a needle in her arm. About 8:00am Dr. Dallas Thompson came in to get the day started. He looked at the monitors and checked me out and saw that I was making some progress since I last saw him, so we opted to break my water. Wyatt and I waited a bit and then decided to take a stroll. Wyatt was such a trooper as I made him walk for at least 2 hours with my IV and monitors. He was a nervous wreck. Every 2 minutes, I would stop and breath and he would ask if I was in pain, did I need the epidural, did I want to lie down. He was really a good sport! This continued for quite a while with the occasional cervix checks in-between. Around 4:00pm, Dr. Thompson came back in and noticed that the contractions had spaced out and were not strong. This is when he thought that we needed to intervene and get me back into labor. This meant Pitocin. I should really point out that at this point I am thirsty and all I am getting is ice. This is when I decided to get the epidural and settled in for a nap. Around 6:00pm, nothing had happened, so they really upped the Pitocin and the nurse got to come sit by my side. Oddly enough, I felt that I needed to entertain her!! Then at 7:00pm came the new nurse for the night and I felt that she needed entertained if she was going to be by my side. Somewhere during this time, Wyatt and I tried to get some sleep. By 9:30, I was noticing that I was really starting to get uncomfortable, as in the epidural was no longer working and was starting to hurt. I had come to the conclusion that I have not felt any pain yet, so I was not going to start. They got me all fixed up and I was felling less pain, but now my stomach started to hurt. About this time it was 10:30ish. The nurse so kindly offered me a sprite. After all of this time I had been thirsty, she offers me a sprite. HELL YEAH I want a sprite. I was thirsty!!! Ice chips just did not cut it!! Then it got intense. The baby’s heart rate was dropping. They had me turn from left to right and put on oxygen. Then they decided to call the doctor. He came in and very calmly explained that the baby was just no longer handling labor and that it was time to get the baby out. People started moving very fast and getting me all ready to go and within a short period I was in the OR having a baby. I barely remember any of it, but I remember very clearly hearing the doctor say, “We have a boy!” I can remember being relieved, happy, overwhelmed, and tired all at the same time. They got him all bundled up and let Wyatt hold him for a few minutes then off he went to make sure he was ok. At 11:31pm on December 12, 2005, Haden Wyatt Althof joined the world weighing in at 6 pounds 14 ounces and was 21 inches long. He was the most beautiful little guy I had ever seen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment